Chinese troops chased away from Doklam, says Army

National | Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

 

New Delhi, Jan 12  Chinese troops have maintained their presence in Doklam on the border though their numbers have thinned, Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat said on Friday.

Addressing the media ahead of the Army Day on January 15, he said road construction had been on in Doklam since 2000 but the Chinese soldiers had come close to Tosa Bala, dividing north and south Doklam in June last year just before the India-China standoff started.

He said the Chinese had come with a large manpower and equipment.

"We felt they will try to claim the whole Doklam... It was also posing a threat to us as it was changing the status quo," he said.

Gen Rawat said the Chinese presence in the northern part of Doklam continued but has thinned out and the level of activity has also gone down.

The Army chief stressed on shifting focus to the country's boundary with China in the north.

"The focus has to shift to the northern borders. We have focused too long on the western side," the Army chief said.

About increase in border transgressions and contact between Indian and Chinese soldiers, he said the numbers have gone up as India had deployed more troops in more forward positions along the border.
 

(IANS)

Related news

Income Tax warning for you on Rs 2000

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

Yogi's big heart.. Free CT scan in UP

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

Rajiv Gandhi's killers will be freed?

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

In Davos Modi blasts rich nations

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

Modi tells India has Rs 320000000000000

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

Zabardast! 1000 job vacancies for you

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

Don’t miss out

News

Porn star makes Deepika sleepless

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.


Irrfan poses with Denman, Kelly

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.


Dakota Fanning doesn't touch her brows

Jan. 12, 2018, 10:49 p.m.