11 interesting takeaways from the Triple Talaq judgement
| Aug. 22, 2017, 5:17 p.m.
Here are 10 interesting takeaways after the Triple Talaq judgement:
-This is the first-ever verdict in favour of Muslim women,” says Farhat, sister of Union minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi. Farhat, who was divorced by her husband for giving birth to a girl child, runs a non-political voluntary organisation for the welfare of the victims of triple talaq and domestic violence.
-“The SC’s judgement is victory for all who believed personal laws must also be progressive and compliant with constitutional guarantees,” ANI quoting Arun Jaitley.
- “BSP welcomes the verdict. It would have been good if the Muslim Personal Law Board acted in the matter, but they didn’t,” says BSP chief Mayawati.
- “This verdict is a step towards gender equality; it will empower women. Today we don’t realise the kind of widespread effect this decision will have. Women will not tolerate inequality now,” says former Union minister Arif M Khan to ANI.
- “I welcome the Supreme Court judgement on instant triple talaq. Its a victory for brave Muslim women who have waged battle against it for years,” tweets actor Shabana Azmi.
-Kolkata cleric Moulana Ahmed Barkati calls SC judgement an ‘unparalleled and unique’ decision. “There are only pros, and no cons to this decision, because the Muslims have made a mockery out of divorce and out of Islam as well- getting drunk and announcing divorce is not the right way,” he tells ANI.
-“I am very happy; it is a good judgement. Now discrimination due to triple talaq will end,” says former AG Soli Sorabjee.
-“Victory of our constitutional values. Will repeat what PM has said earlier, don’t link it to any religion,” BJP leader and law minister Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- “We have to respect the judgement. It is going to be a great herculean task to implement this on ground,” says AIMIM leader Asaduddin Owaisi.
- “Judgment of the Hon’ble SC on Triple Talaq is historic. It grants equality to Muslim women and is a powerful measure for women empowerment,” tweets Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
-“We welcome the Supreme Court’s verdict on triple talaq. Muslim women got justice through it,” says Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath.